Friday, September 12, 2008

The Conversation About Boys and School Has Begun

My book was released on Sept. 9th. That day, the editors at Newsweek.com kindly posted this little oped piece I wrote. Within 48 hours, it had OVER ONE MILLION web viewers.


Then, amazon.com and B&N.com started to show the book was selling off the shelves. It is now in the top 20.

If you are reading this and you are a parent of a boy struggling in school, I hope you get a chance to take a look at my book. If you find it useful, and I'm betting you will, tell other parents of sons about it. Let's start talking about what is right in front of our eyes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just learned today that my grandson..who just turned 8yrs..was expelled from school. He is said to have clenched his fist. What is the world coming to..kids can't even be kids..parents have no rights..schools aren't willing to discipline with even detentions..etc. What ever happened to going to the principle's office and getting a good old fashion swat and sitting in the hall for 30 minutes. What are we facing in our country??

September 15, 2008 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger Life As It Is said...

As the parent of a girl - 25- and 2 boys - one 7 and starting 2nd grade, the other 18, and starting college, I have been aware for a long time that it is not only girls that have risks in our society; I have developed the opinion that boys are at greater risks - both from the methods of teaching that favor girls, as well as the presumption by society that if one is a "boy" that means that the "boy" is going to be trouble - whether the boy is or is not. Boys face greater challenges in our schools and society at large to their successful entry into adulthood.

September 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home